Jose María Arauz is co-founder of Kennedys Abogados and is head of the Firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice. Graduating in 1990, he has over 30 years’ experience in Insurance and Reinsurance law.
He mainly specialises in contentious matters, both in Spain and internationally. He has been involved in claims related to energy, machinery breakdowns and transport. José has extensive experience in litigation, having led major disputes in relation to all types of industrial plants. He has taken a leading role in international cases, particularly claims across multiple jurisdictions in Latin America.
He teaches seminars and lectures at leading business schools
Jose María is featured in various legal directories, including Chambers Europe, Best Lawyers, Legal 500 and Insurance Spain.
He is recognised in the 2020 Best Lawyers guide as one of Spain’s top insurance lawyers.
- Advising reinsurers in relation to a fire in a regasification plant in Galicia which gave rise to a costly claim for damages and loss of profit, securing an amicable settlement between all parties.
- Advising an insurance company on the recovery of a large sum of compensation against the companies responsible for the largest fire in Spain, securing a favourable judgment at first instance and in appeal proceedings.
- Advising German insurance companies on claims arising from jewellery store theft, in relation to coverage matters, disputes related to compensation claims and the recovery of the insured amounts from the insurance companies responsible.
- Advising insurance on industrial claims (engineering) across various jurisdictions.
- Representing diverse insurers on professional liability claims (architects, health and safety coordinators, lawyers, surveyors, E&O and D&O.
- Advising Spanish and Peruvian insurers on a claim against the manufacturer of 3 reciprocating pumps using liquid re-injection to recover compensation for damage to an industrial plant of their insured parties in Peru.
- Representing insurers in a highly diverse range of coverage disputes involving reinsurers.
- Construction and engineering
- Jewellery theft
- Insurance and reinsurance disputes and litigation
- Disputes arising from construction defects
- Civil liability for architects, engineers, health and safety coordinators
- Industrial plant fires
- Negotiation processes
- Claims for damages and loss of profit in relation to power stations
- Real Estate